Islamabad Clinic: +92-321-8465816
Lahore Clinic: +92-301-8465816 +92-42-35455371-3

Drug Addiction and Its Symptoms

Drug Addiction

Drug Addiction and Its Symptoms

A pathological relationship with a substance or activity at the expense of more beneficial relationships is ‘’Addiction’’. Substance Use Disorder (SUD) or drug addiction is a chronic, relapsing brain disease defined by a physical and psychological dependence on drugs, alcohol, or a behavior.

Common Symptoms

The signs and symptoms vary from one addiction type to another, but some common symptoms of addiction include:

  • Having the urge to consume the drug frequently.
  • Having to increase the quantity of the drug to get the same effect.
  • Spending more money on the drug even when one can’t afford it.
  • An inability to stop
  • Changes in mood, appetite, and sleep
  • Putting the substance or behavior ahead of other parts of life including family, work etc
  • Engaging in risky behavior
  • Feeling preoccupied with the substance or behavior
  • Losing interest in other things you used to enjoy

Drug Addicts Globally

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) has estimated that around 275 million people used drugs worldwide in 2019, while over 36 million people suffered from drug use disorders. The ‘2021 World Drug Report’ says between 2010 and 2019, the estimated number of past year users of any drug globally increased from 226m to 274m, or by 22 per cent, in part as a result of global population growth.

Death Rate

According to the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019, an estimated 494,000 deaths and 30.9 million years of “healthy” life lost as a result of premature death and disability were attributable to the use of drugs. Most of the burden of disease was among males, who contributed to 71 per cent of deaths.

Drug-related deaths

Pakistan’s Statistics

In Pakistan, the total number of drug addicts as per UN report is 7.6 million, where 78% are male while the rest 22% are female. The number of these addicts is increasing at the rate of 40,000 per year making Pakistan one of the most drug affected countries in the world.

Its Okay To Talk About Mental Health

Many people fear the term addiction and believe it is an indication of failure or worthlessness. People with addictions often carry stigma about their behavior, leading to shame and fear of seeking help. The World is Changing, and you may find that getting help for your addiction is the best thing you ever do for yourself.

If you or a loved one are struggling with substance use or addiction, contact US.


Related Posts

Leave a Reply